How an Attorney May Help You in a Criminal Defense Case
If you are facing a criminal charge, consider speaking with a criminal lawyer State College PA locals recommend from De Boef Lucchesi and Assoc., P.C. Our legal team has successfully helped protect the rights of the accused for years. A knowledgeable State College criminal lawyer from our firm may fight for your innocence, and may use aggressive legal strategies if necessary.
A criminal lawyer in State College PA from De Boef Lucchesi and Assoc., P.C. may use any of the below methods as a legal strategy for your defense case. We offer experience and focused attention on your case. A public defender is not likely able to represent you at the same level as our experienced attorneys. Your future and freedom is on the line, and our legal team takes this very seriously.
Tactics for Defending Criminal Charges
- Accused must have a diagnosed mental disorder.
- Must provide proof that accused was not aware or did not understand what he or she did was wrong.
- If jury does not find this plea convincing, the chances of a guilty verdict may be high.
Abandonment and Withdrawal
- Accused initially did plan to commit or assist with the crime and at some point abandoned their involvement in the crime.
- Must show evidence that the accused withdrew from action in regard to the crime.
Coercion and Duress
- Accused was forced into committing the crime under threat of harm or other action.
- Does not apply to any accused person who caused a distressful situation for themselves because of their own behavior.
- The accused had to act in self-defense in order to prevent him or herself from severe harm by the accuser.
- The accused acknowledges they had some involvement in the crime being committed. However, there may arguments against maximum punishment that your criminal lawyer State College PA individuals turn to from our firm can provide the court.
Statute of Limitations
- The accuser did not file a claim of crime against the accused within the lawfully allotted amount of time, so the case should be dropped completely.
- The accused was under the influence of alcohol or narcotics at the they committed the crime.
- This may help with minimizing the extent of responsibility for the crime being committed but does not excuse the crime completely.
Do not let your future suffer due to a criminal charge. When clients hire a criminal lawyer State College PA community members choose from De Boef Lucchesi and Assoc., P.C., we work tirelessly to protect their rights. A criminal lawyer State College PA residents rely on from our firm may ensure your interests are protected to the full extent of the law.
What are the consequences of criminal charges?
One of the things you are likely to fear most if you’re charged with a crime is what could happen if you are convicted. This could be a scary prospect, as it could mean possible jail time, being separated from your children and family, and a lasting impact on your record. A criminal lawyer State College PA residents depend on can offer legal counsel to help you along the way. An experienced State college criminal lawyer may help you understand the process and the ramifications of a criminal conviction.
The Difference Between a Felony and Misdemeanor Crime
The punishment for a criminal conviction depends on the severity of the crime committed. It’s important to have a clear understanding of the difference between a felony and misdemeanor crime. One primary difference between the two is the maximum amount of jail time that could ensure. A felony can result in a lengthier prison sentence, while a misdemeanor might waive incarceration and only require a fine.
A misdemeanor could result in up to a year of time in jail and fines. There can be more flexibility in the types of punishments after a misdemeanor conviction, and a criminal lawyer State College PA can provide may be able to negotiate a lesser penalty. Examples of misdemeanor crimes include:
- Petty Theft (under $500)
- Public Intoxication
- Drug Possession
- Reckless Driving
Although a misdemeanor is a less serious crime than a felony, it can still be a scary charge to face. In addition to possible jail time and fines, your future could be impacted significantly. If you are charged with a misdemeanor, you could have a difficult time obtaining employment because a misdemeanor can stay on your record forever. For this reason, it’s still a good idea to hire a criminal lawyer State College PA has to offer if you’re facing a misdemeanor.
If you have been accused of committing a felony, the crime is more serious than that of a misdemeanor crime. The repercussions of a felony conviction could result in many penalties, including at least one year in prison. Examples of felony crimes include:
- Attempted Murder
Similar to misdemeanor convictions, felony convictions will stay on a person’s record for their lifetime. A skilled criminal lawyer State College PA residents trust should be able to provide you with qualified legal counsel specific to your case.
Taking a Plea Deal
A criminal lawyer in State College PA and the prosecutor may negotiate a plea deal in lieu of going through a courtroom trial. In a plea deal, the prosecution may agree to reduce the charges brought against the defendant, usually in exchange for a guilty plea or no contest plea. Plea deals are attractive to the court system because it is a way of moving cases through the system swiftly and efficiently without going through a lengthy and costly trial.
Contact De Boef Lucchesi and Assoc., P.C.
The type of sentencing that accompanies a criminal conviction largely varies, depending on the crime committed and its severity. If you have been charged with a crime — no matter how minor — call a criminal lawyer State College PA residents count on.
Our attorneys may help advise you over the legal process and possible outcomes of your case. You’ll likely encounter many unknowns when considering the possibilities of your case, but your lawyers may help answer questions you have so that you know what to expect on the road ahead.
Call us today to reach a criminal defense attorney at De Boef Lucchesi and Assoc., P.C. so we can review your case. Your first consultation is at no charge, so reach out to us today to speak with a trusted criminal lawyer State College PA offers.